Friday, September 21, 2007

More PostgreSQL Replication

It appears as though my article on Synchronous Multi-Master Replication in PostgreSQL using PGCluster filled an important need. It has become the most read article on this blog in a very short time. As such, I've started wondering about the other replication mechanisms available for PostgreSQL, as well as for other databases, such as MySQL. While PGCluster does provide a good set of capabilities, it does have its drawbacks and limitations. As a result, the next PostgreSQL mechanism I will be evaluating is Slony-I. Slony-I is an asynchronous, master-slave replication mechanism. While this type of replication does not compare to the synchronous, multi-master capabilities of PGCluster, the Slony-I project is more mature, and the way replication is performed may be a better choice in some environments.

While I've found the official Slony-I documentation to be a bit thin when it comes to providing a good introduction, I did come across a lengthy introduction that has been quite helpful in getting things started. I am still working on my article about Slony-I, but, in the meantime, take a look at the Slony-I introduction to get familiar with some of the concepts used.

No comments: